Monday, October 15, 2012

Waltzing along the Danube River

Well, not really waltzing.  Last night we walked and this morning I ran along the Danube in Budapest.

Last night was a beautiful, crisp night in Budapest.  After dark we took a tram to the river's edge.  If we were going to get cold we wanted to get cold walking along the river and not walking TO the river.  It was absolutely gorgeous, even spectacular.  Within view were three bridges all brightly lit.  Across the river there many stately buildings brightly lit up on the banks and hills.  My eyes couldn't stop going from building to building and taking them all in again and again.  It really was a visual feast.  If you are imagining palaces, sculptures, castles, and cathedrals you probably have it about right.

Me with some of my favorite people by the Danube river.


This morning I got up a little early and went for a run along the river.  They have a walking/running/bike path along the river on both sides, and mostly separated from the traffic.  It was enjoyable to run in the chilly morning air and take in the same bridges, palaces, castles, and cathedrals as we had seen last night.  Part of the path was cobblestone but not too bad.

Part of the path both last night and this morning included a Holocaust Memorial.  In 1944 Germany took over the government of Hungary.  This new government lined up Jews on this particular section of the river bank and shot them, pushing their bodies into the river.  The memorial consists of 50 pairs of bronze shoes near the edge of the river wall.

The Holocaust Memorial.


I highly recommend walking and running along the river in Budapest if you are ever in the neighborhood.




2 comments:

  1. My summer in Romania included a 5 day visit to Budapest, and I fell madly in love. The river, the bridges, the beautiful buildings, all of it! I think my friends and I even went to the same bath house you did. It's actually rated as one of the top natural hot springs in the world. We took a tour of the Jewish Synagogue and it turned out to be one of our favorite tours of the entire trip. I hope you are all enjoying that beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! We didn't get to see the Synagogue and we are leaving tomorrow. Maybe next time.

    I'm with you. I have really, really enjoyed Budapest.

    ReplyDelete