Monday, October 15, 2012

Hungarian Bath

We had the adventure of going to a Hungarian Bath.  It was a good experience.  If you are like me the thing that might put you off immediately is the word "bath".  For me bathing is a personal experience, not something I want to pay to do in public.  As it turns out "bath" just means overheated swimming pool.  I saw no shampoo, singing, or rubber duckies.  But, as the guide book promised, I did see "portly Hungarian men wearing speedos."

The water was heated naturally and cooled to a comfortable temperature by mixing in cold water.  The bottom of the pool was tile and as such was slippery.  The minerals in the warm water supposedly provided some health benefit but I think the warm water by itself was relaxing and all the benefit I needed.

We had heard of the possibility of playing chess in the bath.  When we arrived we saw two chess games in progress and thought we would keep an eye out for a chance to play.  We went back later and the chess boards and pieces were gone.  It must have been a BYOP (Bring Your Own Pieces) arrangement.

There were many couples enjoying each other in the bath and that made us all feel a little odd.  It might have been better if Elaine and I could have gone there on a date.
Self-portrait at the bath

No comments:

Post a Comment