Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Just a small setback...

I just set back US - Hungarian relations a few years.

It was lunch time and I had a few errands to run.  Elaine and the kids were out at an "Adventure Park" having fun.  I walked around our neighborhood looking to get my errands done and for a place to eat.  I found what looked like a good restaurant, looked at the menu, and sat down.  The waiter came and took my order and took my menu.  After he took my menu I realized that I hadn't even noticed the prices.  I asked for the menu back and found that what I had ordered exceeded the amount of cash I had with me.  For some reason I didn't take my credit cards with me this time.  How embarrassing! As soon as I realized it I told the waiter what I had done and he ran and stopped the order in the kitchen.

Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to realize my mistake before they opened the $2.50 bottle (sip) of water.  The cashier was a big, burly, grumpy guy and I don't think he was too happy with me.  I paid for the water and left as quickly as I could.  The waiter asked me if I was coming back.  I told a white lie, "I'll try."  I'm not going back but I will check the prices on the menu more closely next time.  Lesson learned.

The price of my newfound wisdom:  $2.50 + the embarrassment.

1 comment:

  1. I think everyone of us who read this blog have had an experience similar to yours--only not in Hungary. It's even more embarrassing if it happens where you are known! Grandpa Hull

    ReplyDelete