Thursday, December 13, 2012

Communicating (or not) with Your Head

There is a very common head movement in India that many non-Indians call "the head bobble". To me it looks like the person is trying to move their head such that their eye brows trace the path of the infinity character (∞) or a sideways figure 8. (How many of you just tried the head bobble?) For me the infinity character analogy is appropriate as it will take me that long to figure out how to interpret the head bobble.

Here is my understanding of what the head bobble can mean. Consider how each meaning might affect communication in different situations.
  • Hello.
  • I heard what you said.
  • I saw your lips move.
  • I understand what you said.
  • I agree with what you said.
  • I disagree with what you said but don't want to say so.
  • No problem.
  • Good.
  • I'm listening.
  • I am indifferent.
  • Yes.
  • Alright.
In summary it means anything except 'no'. Indians do not like to say 'no' or disagree. I think it is cultural that they do not want to disappoint someone or close the door on an opportunity. I think the trick is to ask questions that require a specific, non-yes/no answer, like "What time does the train leave?" Instead of "Does the train leave at 5pm?" Got it? If you do then you are ahead of me.

2 comments:

  1. The more you write about your experiences in India, the more similarities I see with the way things are here in the Philippines. Not so much the head bobble, but "don't want to say "no" attitude." Even basic communicatin gets pretty unbasic.
    Love, Grandpa Hull

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna gave us a demo when we talked with her. She had it down very well. And yes! I did try it just before I read "How many of you just tried it?"
    Mom Hull

    ReplyDelete