Friday, January 11, 2013

"Me" Time on the River Boat Ride

I would highly recommend the two-day river boat ride we just took from Luang Prabang, Laos to Chiang Khong, Thailand. In all it was about 17 hours on a river boat. It doesn't sound fun but I really, really enjoyed it. It was a great time for pondering and reflection while taking in beautiful scenery.

At this point I'd like to make an observation about traveling around the world with my family. I love each person in my family a lot. However, every once in a while I need some "alone" time. I need to put myself in time out or something. No computer, no people. I'd recommend that any long-term family trip include some alone time for everyone. Even if you aren't traveling around the world with your family take some time out for yourself.

Back to the story, did I mention the scenery was amazing?!? We saw water buffalo and elephants. The elephants weren't wild but still, how cool is that? On both sides of the river there were what looked like jungles: palm trees, banana trees, and green stuff everywhere. It surprised me how little civilization there was along such a big river. There were people, little villages, and signs of life just about everywhere but not too much in the way of modern cities or towns. Some villages I wondered if the river was the only way to get there.

It seemed like every inch of the river bank had a garden/farm on it but I couldn't see any houses most of the time. I imagine that during the wet season all of these gardens are under water as the river rises. Life looked so simple: fishing and farming. Bathing in the river.

I was sad for our river trip to end.


It was a misty morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment