Friday, May 17, 2013

Japan

Lots of you probably don't know, but I took Japanese for two years in school, so now I can read and write lots of the characters. (for those who are interested: There are 3 types of characters in Japanese, Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. Hiragana are for Japanese words, Katakana are for foreign words, and Kanji are symbols that represent words, which are also used in Chinese. I can read Hiragana and Katakana.) So I had a lot of fun trying to read stuff in Japanese. Usually I didn't know what it meant, but it was still fun.

We had just left Beijing when we got to Fukuoka, Japan. If you don't know, Beijing is extremely polluted. It always looks like a big dust storm is happening. You can't hardly see the building 4 blocks away. Japan is completely different. The air is super clear, and everywhere we went just felt super clean to me. Sister Priddis taught us that the Japanese don't do anything halfway. She also taught us that they have these 'Community Days' where everyone goes out all day and pulls weeds and cleans stuff for the city, and that is pretty cool. We learned that Japan is so safe, that you don't even need to lock your car or house when you leave them, I thought that was awesome. Imagine if that's how it was in the U.S. When you go into a restaurant, they will always give you a towel or something to wash your hands, which was nice. All of the people were very kind, even though almost nobody spoke English. In the end I really liked Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment