Thursday, May 16, 2013

I am nothing...

We absolutely loved Japan. In large part we enjoyed it so much because we had a friend who took care of us very well. She advised us on activities, recommended restaurants, rented a mini-van, and coordinated other friends who could drive the van for us while she was at work teaching English. On Mother's Day she even hosted the dinner. She introduced us to some Korean friends who made us a yummy authentic Korean meal of Pugogi (garlic and beef) and Chimda (chicken, potato, and carrot curry). I think Joe asked for the recipes. We visited a Shinto Shrine, a bio park (zoo), an aquarium, Nagasaki Bomb Museum and several other places. The other reason we enjoyed Japan is because the people were so kind and we felt so comfortable.

The places we visited were often an hour or longer drive away. As we drove we often spoke with whomever was driving about Japan and Japanese culture. I don't remember how the subject came up but I remember learning that in Japan children are brought up to understand their place in the world. The person who explained it to us used the words, "They are taught from the time they are very young that they are nothing." I interpreted this to mean that they are not as important as the world, their country, their city, their school, or their family. I think it is meant to teach the children to be less selfish and think of others first in every context. It says nothing about the worth of the individual or their capacity or ability to do great things. It provides a value system to be used when making a decision.

In the context of this value system, the graciousness and kindness of the Japanese people is easy to understand. I wonder how different the world would be if we were all brought up understanding where we fit in. I think I could use a little more of this "I am nothing" attitude. I think way too much of myself and way too often.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great lesson for everyone to understand. The world would be a better place if there was less selfishness and more kindness.

    ReplyDelete