Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Running in DC

In the 3 weeks we've been in DC Elaine and I have run pretty regularly.  The actual act of running in DC is mentally more difficult.  I have to think about running more here and can't let my mind wander to other subjects and here are a few reasons why.

  • The surfaces are uneven.  There are always cars in the narrow streets and so we have to run on the sidewalks which are made in 2-foot square sections (2, 3, or 4 sections across).  Some times the sections are uneven.  Being in the city there are streets very frequently and therefore there are curbs of inconsistent height to navigate.  I have to watch the surface constantly so that I don't roll an ankle.  I'll admit that anywhere I run I have to watch the surface for abnormalities but it feels like I have to watch more closely here.
  • There is more traffic.  No matter how early we run there is traffic on the sidewalks: people walking, people biking, and people walking dogs.  We have watch for traffic on the sidewalk.
  • The sidewalks are narrow.  Some of the sidewalks are 2 sections across and some times they are 3 sections across.  A sidewalk might have a random planter box or tree or lamppost or street sign by the curb.  Another sidewalk might have bushes or branches hanging over the sidewalk on the "house" side.  Another thing that makes the sidewalks narrower is standing water.   We don't like to run through water and go to great lengths to avoid it especially when we can't see the surface under it.  Add another pedestrian or biker or dogwalker or garbage day and suddenly the sidewalk is narrower.  We have to watch out for variations in the width of the available running space.
  • There are lots of red lights.  Being in a city, there are many streets and intersections.  Many intersections are governed by traffic lights and for pedestrians "Walk" and "Don't Walk" signals.  Some times we can time it right with the "Walk" signals.  Other times we have a choice to make:  stop running and wait for the light to change or follow the "Walk" signal in a different direction.  Some times following the "Walk" signal doesn't move us in the direction we want to go.
I don't want this to be a completely negative post.  There are two places (they are actually connected) where we absolutely love running in DC:  Rock Creek Park and the Mall area.  There are paths for biking, walking, and running in both places (and between) and I enjoy being able to let my mind wander a bit while I run instead of concentrating on each step.  Also, I realize now that running in Utah has spoiled me with wide smooth streets and little traffic.

A view of what the sidewalks are like in this DC neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. It will have been fun to have run so many places by the time you finish the trip. Summer of 2011 I was doing a walk, like 4 miles, with a friend, and decided to jog the last 500 yards because I felt good and wanted to try. I did and it was hard. You know I have never been a runner. Anyway, I decided to start doing it and began with a mile every morning before school - I think I told you last Christmas - and have continued on. I did my first 10K on Monday. Not in a set race or anything but woke up early and hit the road aiming for my new world record - longest run ever - and did it in 85 minutes. Not impressive to anyone but myself, but I did do it and was proud of myself. I run along a highway near my house and it is not a steep hill but half of the way is uphill so it can be tough. I think 10K is my limit though. But it is good enough for me! Enjoy your running around the world and the rest of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My running list so far is Redlands, Long Beach, Los Alamitos, Gettysburg, and Washington DC.

    Way to go on the 10k! That's a great distance--for sure something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete