Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Beware of Extra Fees

Update: They got us again. See below for details. (2013-02-26)

We recently returned to Manila from a quick trip to Palawan, a Philippine island. We had talked ourselves into making the trip and are super glad we did. It was not an easy trip to coordinate and we felt like we were exceeding our budget we were therefore conscious of every expense.

Due to a scheduling problem at one stop on our tour the guide improvised a stop for us at another place. We hadn't anticipated the fees associated with the improvised stop. The snorkeling gear cost more than we anticipated and, of course, we didn't plan on losing a snorkel and having to pay to replace it...By the end of our time on Palawan we were sensitive of how much we had spent. Then we arrived at the airport to return to Manila.

We purchased our tickets to Palawan and back online. So far on this trip when we've purchased plane, train, or bus tickets they have included all necessary fees. As we were walking away from the check-in counter the agent said, "You'll have to pay a 40 peso per person domestic passenger terminal fee before being allowed to the gate." I tried to explain that it was included in the tickets we purchased online and she explained back that, "Not for the return trip out of Palawan." Great. More unanticipated fees.

I walked directly to the guy who looked like an "inspector" or "gatekeeper" (not the "fee collector" lady) and tried to get through. Without looking up from what he was reading he held up a hand motioning us to the "fee collector" lady. I told him our fees were included in our purchase of the plane ticket and attempted to show him a print out of our receipt. I expected him to look up and show me where I was wrong but again I received no eye contact or words. He only held up his hand directing me to the "fee collector" station next to him. I tried to explain my story to the "fee collector" too. It didn't work. I felt like I was being held hostage for 6 more dollars.

I guess the point of this story is to expect extra fees and expect to feel ripped off about paying them.

Update: We thought the extra fees at Palawan were a one time thing unique to Palawan. It was naive of us to think that. They got us again when we were leaving Philippines from the Clark International Airport. They wouldn't let us into the gate area until we paid the terminal fee. This time the fee was 450 pesos PER PERSON. That's over $10 each. It was particularly painful because we had done a good job of managing our money and showed up at the airport with just enough money for some snacks. Luckily (?) there was an ATM in the passenger terminal. I wonder what would have happened if the ATM didn't work and we couldn't get money. Oh, and another thing the receipt we received said the fees were supposed to be 600PHP. I should have been a stinker and asked them to provide me with a proper receipt...

1 comment: