Monday, February 4, 2013

Bad Hair Day

My hair has needed some serious help for the past few months, but I have been to afraid of what might happen if I just walked into a salon and attempted to communicate the type of cut I wanted.  In a moment of great weakness I decided to get my hair done here in Cambodia.  I thought I would just get it colored because I could always just redo it if it turned out bad.  I found a place near our hotel and scheduled an appointment with a girl who spoke English pretty well.

My appointment started out with the most vigorous hair washing I have ever received.  As a side note, the water was cold, but that's OK because it was such a hot day.  As the girl colored my hair she pointed out how many white hairs I had.  Thanks a lot!  I really didn't need to be reminded of how old I am getting!  She also told me how she has done hair for the past 20 years so I thought maybe she could trim off the ends a bit.  I showed her how much I wanted off by showing with my fingers (about 1/2 inch)  and saying just a little bit.  Her response, "I know, I know."  I repeated this several times so she would know I really wanted just  a little bit off.  She trimmed up the back and then cut off at least 3 inches off one of the sides.  I tried to stop her but it was to late!  I told her it was way to much off and she said, "to late now."  So she proceeded to finish the cut which I was not happy with at all.  So I am afraid instead of helping the bad hair situation, it is just worse now.  On a positive note, the color turned out good!

Picture taken a few days before 

After, the sides are cut shorter than the back so I had to push it back behind my  ears to make it look better.  









3 comments:

  1. My hair grows so fast in the Philippines so maybe a miracle will happen while you are here. So excited to see you no matter what your hair looks like.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this bad hair day. I have been having a bad hair year with my gray hair being fuzzy. Yes, I didn't misspell that word. Trying to be ready to look nice at Emily's wedding in less than a month - get it cut, don't get it cut - trim it myself, NO! Oh, dear. Any good suggestions anyone?
    Venna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely hate getting my hair cut. Unless it's just a trim, I never like it. I feel for you, Elaine. I would have cried. On a positive note, the picture you posted of the haircut is quite cute. You can make it work.

    ReplyDelete