Sunday, November 18, 2012

Rising Star - What a Welcome!

Yesterday we arrived at the Rising Star Outreach campus. It is in the middle of nowhere and is beautiful. There is grass, dormitory buildings, a school building, an open-air but covered cafeteria building, a volunteer hostel, a track, and playing fields. It is very comfortable and is more than I was expecting.

After arriving and unloading our bags we went to eat lunch with the children. The boys had finished their lunch and were gone. The girls' were there eating their lunches. As soon as we walked into the cafeteria one little girl noticed Jenna, then another, then another. Before long Jenna was surrounded by other little girls who were all giggling in pure joy. I chose the word "pure" because the little girls with their dark faces, bright eyes, and bright smiles were so cute and happy to see Jenna. There was no other emotion but pure joy in their faces. They were spontaneously drawn to her and couldn't help themselves. It was amazing to see. I think my eyes leaked a little. I was proud of Jenna for being so patient and brave. She held out her hair for the little girls to touch and didn't flinch when they wanted to touch her cheeks. I think the picture-taking experience at the Taj Mahal prepared her for this experience.

I don't think the little girls even knew the rest of us were there.

Later at dinner I sat on the floor and ate with a group of 6-9 year old boys. They were mostly done and I hadn't yet started. Wow. Almost instantly there were 10 little smiling faces in my face asking me questions, "What is your name? When is your birthday? How old are you?" They thought it was particularly funny when I took off my hat and they saw my bald head. I told them they would have good luck if they rubbed my head. After we finished eating we played a few little hand games with the boys. We had a blast. Those little guys were so loving and happy. The dorm mothers let them stay late and play in the cafeteria (both things they don't normally get to do) because we were having so much fun.


1 comment:

  1. How wonderful!! Brings tears to my eyes!! You are blessed to have this experience. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete