Sunday, November 11, 2012

Insha'Allah - God Willing

I learned an Arabic phrase from the Egyptian surgeon who removed Seth's appendix: "Insha'Allah." It means "God willing." My understanding is that for Muslims any reference to the future or to commitments in the future should be accompanied by this expression, "Insha'Allah" or "God willing."

At first I thought it meant, "I hope that it is God's will that something I want will happen." I also thought that it implied somehow that God had prescribed future events, that history was already written, and that I hope my success is part of what God had written/prescribed. This interpretation didn't feel right to me. In fact, it completely misses the point.

After reading a bit further about the expression I now understand that it expresses more of a desire that one's will is properly aligned with God's. It is not about the outcome. It is not about success or failure. It is about being on the right path and desiring/doing God's will.

Does anyone else know this expression? Do you understand it the same way?

1 comment:

  1. I remember someone doing a paper on that (which they read to us) but that was a long time ago. But I do think you have it about right--us trying to do the things that would please God. Thank you for all the blogs which have brought us up to speed. Love, Grandpa

    ReplyDelete