Friday, March 29, 2013

Wildlife in Australia


     While we were in Katoomba we saw a lot of wildlife. From our deck we had a good view of a field and some trees. One evening my mom was out on the deck and she saw some movement in the field. She looked over and saw a fox! We got a few pictures and it went back into the bushes. After that we thought about it and realized that Australia is known for its dingos so maybe the fox was really a dingo. We looked online and looked at the differences. We found that a dingo is basically a wild dog and the easiest difference to spot is the black legs on the fox and not on the dingo. We looked at the pictures, but we couldn't see the legs of the fox because it was in some brush. After that we looked out the window and saw another fox (or dingo). We all stormed onto the deck and scared it off, we were all bummed, but Jenna saw that it had black legs like a fox. After that I was setting up my hammock on the deck and my mom was searching where to go to see a wallaby (basically a small kangaroo). When I looked up I saw a black thing in the fields, when I looked closer I saw a wallaby. I ran inside to grab my camera and I came back out and watched it for a few minutes. After a little, the wallaby hopped back behind the bushes.
     A few days later we were going to a youth conference, while we were driving we passed a kangaroo crossing sign. A couple of minutes later we saw a dead kangaroo on the side of the road. Later in the trip we saw dozens of kangaroos behind little fences. All of them were wild and the little fence was to separate them from the road (I think). We saw a few hopping around and it was pretty cool.
     There were these birds that are beautiful with their white feathers, and you're thinking wow that bird is pretty cool until it lets out its death screech. It literally sounds like its dying all the time. You can't go five minutes without hearing one of them. There are also other kinds of birds, there are small ones that look like parakeets and other ones that are great big black birds. Australia has all sorts of cool wildlife, and I don't know if New Zealand will be able to beat it.
How does it fly with that big head?

Wallaby, it kind of looks like a really big bunny

Fox (not dingo)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are paying attention to wildlife. Some people (too many) ignore what happens in nature. But I have to admit--I have heard the word "dingo" but had no idea what it was. I had also heard of "wallabe" but had no idea what that was either. I guess I better start paying more attention to nature--although this kind of "nature" doesn't happen where I roam.
    Love, Grandpa Hull

    ReplyDelete