Saturday, March 23, 2013

Culture Shock in Singapore

Last November when we arrived in India I experienced culture shock. India was so different from anywhere I had ever been before. At times it seemed like sensory overload with all the sights, sounds, and smells. It was hard seeing so much poverty and dirt everywhere. But at the same time it was exciting with all the colors and smells and things to see. India is a place that has to be "experienced."

As we continued through other countries in South East Asia there were other moments of culture shock. But it was quite mild compared to what I had experienced in India.


Our last stop in South East Asia was Singapore. I was looking forward to visiting because I had heard and read that it was the cleanest and most developed country in SouthEast asia. It was going to be a nice relief from the dirt and grime. So why did I experience culture shock in Singapore?

We have spent the past 5 months traveling in developing countries. We have walked along dirt roads when there are no sidewalks. We have walked along sidewalks that were more hazardous than the roads. We have dodged traffic crossing streets. We have stared poverty in the face and seen some heartbreaking situations that people live in. We have seen houses that look like they could blow over in the next wind storm. We have seen people dressed in rags and tattered clothing. But through it we have found happy people who are quick to smile or lend a helping hand. We have enjoyed our interactions with the local people even if we didn't speak the same language.

Singapore was different. It was clean and the sidewalks were level. There were traffic lights and crosswalks and garbage cans. There were beautiful buildings and neatly cared for parks. There were shopping malls, huge shopping malls. In fact a whole street of shopping malls. Everyone was nicely dressed. In fact Rich noticed the street bum wearing Nike shoes. Prices were significantly higher. Nearly everyone had a phone. It seemed like everyone was in a hurry and focused on their phones. Rarely did a local look up from their phone to smile or say hello.

Now don't get me wrong and think I don't like Singapore. It's a great place to visit. I guess the materialistic side of Singapore is what caused my culture shock. We have been so happy living a simple life with just the few belongings in our backpacks and seeing people with so few possessions that i wasn't prepared to experience reverse culture shock. I am not sure what I am going to experience when we return to the US in a few months. Will I be shocked at what seemed so normal before we left? Hopefully I will return and be able to bring the best of what I have seen with me. Maybe I can still have my phone but also remember to reach out to others with a smile or helping hand. Maybe I can have a few more possessions than fit in a backpack but still remember that things don't bring happiness.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting and thought-provoking comments. I have thought the same thing: returning home to "my stuff" may not be wrong, but I will forever think of tough situations that I have experienced here in the Philippines: Happy people who don't have much in the way of "stuff". Will I continue to have a heart that reaches out to a dirty little hand? You have given me something to think about. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I returned from studying in France I experienced much more dramatic culture shock than when I left to go to France because I wasn't expecting to be shocked. I thought it was bizarre when strangers wanted to talk to me in the grocery store. I was surprised to see people dressed so casually and walking with bad posture. I imagine you will experience some culture shock too.

    My sister Chrissy had a similar experience to yours when she returned from working with orphans in Romania for four months. Everything felt so materialistic to her. I remember she cried when she read about celebrities spending their money on over the top luxuries because the money could be used to help orphans in Romania. The transition back to the US was very difficult for her.

    I'm thinking the easiest way to deal with this will be for you to just expect that your old normal will feel alien. Your world view has changed too, probably dramatically. It will take some adjustment, but you should adjust pretty quickly. I think it's so cool that your family is doing this. What an eye-opening experience for your kids.

    ReplyDelete