Thursday, July 2, 2015

Why Ecuador?




Three years ago we moved out of our house and left on our adventure around the world. I would love to repeat that experience, but it's not looking like it will happen in the near future. So instead I will take what travel I can get and for now that means 6 weeks in Ecuador. Many people have asked "why Ecuador". At first we were planning a road trip to Mexico but for some reason as I began planning I just didn't feel good about it. So we started looking at other options. I have heard good things about Ecuador from friends in a travel group and we found a good price on flights from LAX. Summer is a hard time to find many travel deals. Traveling for several weeks, we needed a place we could afford and we just felt good about it as we researched. So Ecuador is our destination. Not sure what we will do for sure, but we will get it figured out along the way.

Getting ready for a summer away is much easier than a year away.  And it's a good think since we really weren't home much in June to get ready. We have some friends who are house sitting for us so we don't have to worry about our house while we are away. We decided to travel with less stuff this time so we each have a carry-on size suitcase or backpack and then a small day pack. I am hoping my backpack is not so heavy this time!

We decided to leave on June 27.  That morning I got up very early to drive Seth and Joe to run their first half marathon. I then returned home and did a little cleaning and trip preparations before returning to see the boys finish. Sadly, I missed seeing them cross the finish line since I was stuck in a traffic mess!  We took them back home and let them shower, we finished packing and cleaning and were on the road by noon heading to California.
Seth and Joe after finishing their first half marathon.
I think the boys are tired after their run.

We stopped in Las Vegas to watch the musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Shaun Perry, a friend we met in India had the lead role.


Waiting for the play to start.

Jenna with Shaun Perry
We stayed with relatives in Las Vegas and California but didn't even take any pictures! I think we were having so much fun we didn't think of pictures. We will remember to take pictures while in Ecuador.  I am hopeful we will have a great summer in Ecuador and have a good reply when someone asks "Why Ecuador" when we return.

The conservatory at the Bellagio in  Las Vegas

The Bellagio conservatory in Las Vegas

Riverside National Cemetery. First time visiting Rich's Dad's grave. We hope by next time the grass is in. Currently the grass stops on the row before his grave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment