Saturday, April 12, 2014

My Español Skills

I got to try and talk with these kids for a while, it didn't work out too well.

I've been taking Spanish class for about 3/4 of a year and I was excited to come to Peru and actually use it. I can usually pick up on a word or two of what someone is saying and get the general idea of a sentence, but I can't really talk to them because I don't know all of the secrets about Spanish. My dad speaks a good amount of Spanish so usually I only have to translate to my family when he's not there. There have been a few...uh... minor translation errors. For example, when Joe was buying a souvenir I asked how many soles it was and I thought that the vendor said 15. Turns out that the shop keeper actually said 50, I still don't really understand how I confused those because they don't really sound that much alike. Anyway, that was kind of embarrassing and I'm sure that my family will never let me forget it.  Its been fun trying to speak Spanish, but also kind of annoying because whenever I say something in English, even to my family, my mind automatically tries to come up with how to say it in Spanish.
Even though my Spanish is not that good, sometimes I get the feeling that it is sometimes better than Google translate (see below).
I think they are trying to say that they aren't responsible for lost things, but I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment