Thursday, April 10, 2014

Money Woes in Peru

We have had a bit of money woes here in Peru.  First day in Cusco, at the airport, the ATM took my debit card.  After a moment of panic on my part, Rich, with his limited Spanish, made a few calls to the local bank. But it was Sunday and the bank was closed.  We had transportation arranged to take us to a city about 1 1/2 hours away so we left without our debit card.  When we arrived, I called the emergency number on the debit card (after getting it from my brother) and cancelled the card.  Good thing we always travel with more than one card.

No problems for several days. . . until today.



We arrived back to Ollantaytambo, as small town that we had stayed in right after arriving in Peru.  Both ATMs in town are down.  We have a small amount of local currency, enough for the bus back to Cusco, but not much more.  We waited a few hours and tried the ATMs again. Still down.  I told the kids as soon as we got money we would eat lunch.  In the meantime we had some granola bars and crackers so they weren't
actually starving.  Seth asked if this is what it feels like to be poor and not know when we would get to eat next.

I went into our favorite restaurant here and explained how we couldn't get money from the ATM and asked if they take US currency.  They don't so I thanked them and started to leave to try some other restaurants. Then another traveler stepped up and offered to loan me some money.  He gave me the equivalent of $100 in local currency and told me he was meeting some friends for dinner at another restaurant at 7 and I
could just pay him back then.  Well a bit before 7 I tried the ATMs again and they were still down.  So we went to the restaurant to meet him and paid him back in US cash.  He is an American who travels down
here frequently and just genuinely wanted to help us out.  I love it when we meet people who are just good and not trying to take advantage of others misfortunes.  Makes me want to be a better person and more
aware of others needs.

So we were able to get some food.  We also found a place that will exchange money but the rate
isn't quite as good.  But now we have enough to get by until we get to Cusco where I am sure we will find a working ATM.  All part of the travel experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment