Monday, May 28, 2012

Around the World With Technology

One of my jobs on our trip is to be the IT guy.  Here is what I've put together for us so far:

  • 3 laptops:  2 for family and 1 for me.  For the family I picked up 2 laptops from Costco that are at least as good as our home computer.  Quality-wise they are one step above netbooks.  They will be used for research, banking, blogging, and school.  For me I picked up a Macbook Air to use for my work.  It is a quality system and will serve me well.
  • 2 iPads.  We already had two entry-level iPads.  They will be good for entertainment and research.
  • 3 Kindle Fires.  The boys each already have a Kindle Fire.  I anticipate them being used for entertainment purposes on our long travel days.
  • 1 x 1.5TB USB hard drive.  We will use this for our long-term storage for everything digital that we generate and consume during our trip:  movies, music, pictures, school materials, etc.
  • For those times when our lodging does not provide adequate Internet access we will have a MiFi mobile hotspot device.  Essentially it talks to the cellular network on one side and WiFi on the other.  We'll get a country-specific data-only SIM where ever we are and rely on the quality of the local cellular networks to get us through.

No comments:

Post a Comment